“Facts are not science - as the dictionary is not literature.” — Martin H. Fischer
Degrees in Biology
The department offers a Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Biology, as well as minors in Biology and in Ecology/Evolution.
Students majoring in biology select courses from a diverse set of offerings to develop a program that matches their interests, needs, and career plans. Students are urged to work closely with their Departmental advisors to determine the most appropriate individual courses of study.
Specific requirements and general recommendations for the Biology major can be found on these pages:
Some advice for Biology (and other) majors
We encourage students to develop a thoughtful approach to the entire Creighton experience. We wholeheartedly endorse the steps advised for biology majors by Susan P. Young of Purdue University:
- Get to know your own strengths and interests.
- Be flexible about your academic and career paths.
- Develop a supporting area (computer science, communications, etc.).
- Obtain experience (research, summer, or volunteer work).
- Make use of the faculty, counseling, and placement centers.
- Talk to people (especially former Creighton students) who are working in the areas you are considering - the Department and the Career Services Office can help put you in contact.