“Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition.” — Adam Smith
Hixson-Lied Science Building 448
(4th floor, next to elevators)
8:00am - 12:00pm & 1:00pm - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday
Department of Biology
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
The Creighton Biology Department offers foundational and advanced courses across major subdisciplines of biology. Lecture and lab experiences are grounded in first principles. Modern facilities, faculty active in research and a commitment to mentoring students all contribute to a rich environment for developing a sound foundation in biology and the scientific method.
Bachelor of Science Degree Program
The biology degree program at Creighton reflects the liberal education philosophy of Creighton’s College of Arts and Sciences. Students can expect to gain a knowledge and understanding of a wide range of disciplines within the biological sciences, from molecular and cellular level processes to ecology and evolutionary biology. In addition, a wide range of upper-level courses provides the opportunity to focus on areas of interest. Juniors and seniors may also participate in independent research in collaboration with faculty members.
The Department of Biology at Creighton University is committed to providing an excellent undergraduate biology program encompassing both breadth and depth of biological understanding. Our mission is to provide our students with the opportunity to develop:
- an understanding and appreciation of biological unity and diversity;
- competence in analytical, investigative, and communication skills appropriate to the biological discipline; and
- the ability to recognize and formulate effective responses to moral and ethical issues with biological dimensions.
The biology major should provide our students with the knowledge, aptitudes and attitudes that will enable them to be active, effective citizens throughout their lives, whatever career they choose.
- Biology is one of the largest majors in the College of Arts and Sciences, with over 200 majors.
- U. S. News and World Report included Creighton as one of only 39 universities, of all types and locations, in the Undergraduate Research and Creative Projects category under the section "Academic Programs to Look For" (2004).
- Creighton is among approximately 200 colleges and universities included in the Peterson's Top Colleges for Science - A Guide to Leading Four-Year Programs in the Biological, Chemical, Geological, Mathematical, and Physical Sciences (1996).
- Since 1989, five of the Department's ten faculty members have received the Dean's Award for Outstanding Teaching, including both General Biology teachers, and three faculty members have received the Outstanding Advisor Award.
- Five biology faculty have recently authored or edited books, including widely-used undergraduate biology texts.
- Undergraduate Biology majors are encouraged to earn Directed Independent Research credit. Research may be done within the Biology Department, as well as in Creighton's medical and dental schools, the Boys Town National Research Hospital, the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the Henry Doorly Zoo, and various other institutions in Omaha and elsewhere.